Open Main Street Pearl’s Doors | Help us raise the remaining funds we need to bring our bubbly bar to Takoma Park!
My name is Leandra Nichola and I could not be more excited to be founding Main Street Pearl, a bubbly bar, noshery, and tuck shop in lovely Takoma Park, Maryland.
Pearl is a product of my love for craft drinks, micro-enterprise, and inclusive community space, and my commitment to serving my community. The shop will feature a bubbly drinks bar – including bubble tea, scratch sodas, kombucha, beer, cider, and sparkling wine – as well as prepared nosh from featured local foodpreneurs. Our “Pearl Squad” – a group of young Takoma Parkers interested in business – will operate our tuck shop, featuring grab and go snacks and youth-made crafts.
The vision is to create a space that is intentionally inclusive for the whole community – from a relaxed and fun ambiance to a broad menu and retail items from local artisans and makers, I want everyone to see something for them at Pearl.
Two decades of personal and professional commitment to ethical consumerism, community-building, and working to create a more compassionate world makes me uniquely qualified to bring this new kind of business to life.
Ultimately, I hope Main Street Pearl will provide Takoma Park:
- somewhere fun to connect with neighbors and friends.
- unique, craft drinks that you can’t find elsewhere on our Main Street.
- an opportunity to support other microbusinesses.
- a safe and supportive place for young people to spend time together.
- a business that steps lightly on the planet.
What We Need & What You Get
Main Street Pearl will open its doors (in whatever capacity we can!) at 7050 Carroll Ave in Takoma Park, Maryland in early February 2021. And, we need your help to do it!
Opening a new business during a pandemic is especially tricky and we are trying to raise additional funds to ensure we can do it safely and give Pearl the best shot at success in spite of the unusual challenges we’ll face in our first year. Our goal is to raise $20,000 from our community.
In addition to getting a fun place for you and your friends to connect, everyone who contributes will get perks!
- Admiring Ally – $10 – Reusable Straw
- Bubbly Backer – $25 – Straw & drink voucher
- Fizzy Financier – $50 – 2 straws, 2 drink vouchers
- Sweet Supporter – $100 – 2 straws, 2 drink vouchers, tub of cotton candy from Spun Cotton Candy Art.
- Drinks Dynamo – $250 – Invite to Garden Party, 4 drink vouchers, Civilitea sampler.
- Pearl Patron – $500 – Invite to Garden Party, 6 drink vouchers, children’s book donated to Small Things Matter in your name.
- Founding Friend – $1000+ – VIP Open Bar Invite to Garden Party, plus 10 drink vouchers, local micro foodpreneur sampler, named on our legacy wall.
Leandra is intentional about using her experience and skills to improve her community. Her unique mix of training and experience over the last 20 years make her uniquely well-suited for a project like Main Street Pearl. But, it’s her deep ties to the community of Takoma Park that will make this business thrive.
A generalist by trade – handling operations for non-profit, legal clinics and firms, teaching at the college, elementary, and preschool levels, and working behind the bar, on the floor, and on management teams in food, beverage, and grocery businesses – one common thread in Leandra’s experience is bringing people together. And, Main Street Pearl is the culmination of her ability to do this. The business connects other businesses, non-profit partners, and neighbors in a way that supports their goals and creates meaningful interactions.
Serving her community on neighborhood associations, City committees and task forces, building a community-based learning program for children, and working on main street over the last decade, Leandra is committed to knowing and improving Takoma Park in a real way. Main Street Pearl is her way of sharing her love for her community and her passion for showing off Takoma Park’s progressive values. Because every progressive main street needs a fun, lively place for kids and grown ups to enjoy crafty, ethically-produced drinks and food!
Other Ways You Can Help
We understand that these are challenging times and not everyone can contribute financially – no problem, we still need your help!
- Please share this campaign with your network on social media! Use #openpearlsdoors and tag us @mainstpearl.
- Please share this campaign page with five friends, family members, or co-workers who you think would enjoy it, not on social media, but something more personal, like a text message or DM.
- Join our work team! If you want to offer your human power to help us get up and running, shoot us a message at [email protected]
Thank you so much for all your love and support!