SafeLyfe Alpha: The Smart, Secure & Portable Safe | The safe designed to fight the opioid epidemic and protect families from prescription drug abuse
What Inspired this Project
My name is Alma Ohene-Opare. I am a software engineer with more than a decade of experience in solving complex technology-related problems. I am also the inventor and principal engineer of the SafeLyfe Alpha and I am excited to embark on this journey with you. A few years ago, I learned of a grim statistic about the impact of prescription drug abuse in the United States. I was profoundly affected and determined to find a way to help protect families from the epidemic.
After some research, I discovered that most victims of prescription drug addiction became addicts by accident. In most cases, they were prescribed powerful opioids to treat legitimate pain. The problem occurs when they are left to themselves to manage how often and how many pills they take. So, I as pondered a possible solution to accidental addiction, I knew it had to be focused on creating oversight and accountability in the daily dispensing of the prescribed doses.
The SafeLyfe Alpha is the world’s first smart safe designed primarily to bring accountability and oversight to the dispensing of medication.
The SafeLyfe Alpha is not like any other safe. The following are a few features that make the safe unique:
- No Buttons, Keypads or Keys: The SafeLyfe Alpha can only be controlled from a smartphone configured to communicate securely with the safe. This design methodology is crucial to accomplishing the stated goal of the safe, which includes limiting avenues for unauthorized access to the safe’s contents. Without buttons or keys, the only people who can open the safe are those with physical access to the authorized smartphone and the SafeLyfe app and are within proximity of the safe.
- Multi-Factor Authentication: Another unique feature of the SafeLyfe Alpha is that it is the only safe that uses multi-factor authentication. In order to provide accountability and oversight, the safe can be configured to require more than one person to approve access to its contents. When a user attempts to unlock the safe by pushing a button on their smartphone, one or more users will be notified of the request. They have to approve access before the safe unlocks ensuring complete accountability.
- Built-In HD Camera: To provide more oversight and accountability, the SafeLyfe Alpha has a built-in camera that automatically records as soon as the safe is open. The recorded video is live and can be viewed by the person or persons authorizing access to the safe in real-time. The wide-angle camera lens allows viewers to see both the contents of the safe as well as the person accessing the safe.
- Portable: The SafeLyfe Alpha is portable and lightweight and can fit in a regular backpack. The safe can be used at home, college dorm room or on the go.
Be Part of the Solution to a Nationwide Epidemic
You can make a huge difference with your contribution. Supporting our campaign will put you on the frontlines in the fight against the nationwide epidemic of opioid drug abuse and overdoses. You will be helping build a life-saving product that could impact hundreds of thousands of lives in the United States and around the world.
It is estimated that most people know someone who is affected in some way by the opioid epidemic. Whether you know someone personally or not, you cannot escape its impact. Even if it has not affected you at this time, it is crucial and imperative to take precautions to protect your family today and your support will go a long way to make this a reality.
What We Need
Currently, we need to raise $100,000 to make this project a reality. The funds raised will be used to accomplish the following:
- Build the injection molds required to manufacture the safe.
- Engineer the circuit board, video recording system, and firmware for the safe.
- Develop a mobile app that will enable access to the safe.
- Create an e-commerce website for the sale and marketing of the safe.
- Seek partnerships with advocacy groups and organizations to help drive sales.
- Purchase the first order of safes for sale.
If we are unable to raise the total funding requested, we may seek angel investment to fill the shortfall. If we are unable to secure angel investment, we will consider applying for grants. We will do whatever is necessary to make this product a reality.
What You Get
Any contribution is welcome regardless of amount, however, to show our appreciation to our most generous supporters, we will offer the SafeLyfe Alpha at a significant discount to all our backers who pre-order the safe through this campaign.
Other Ways You Can Help
Beyond making a monetary contribution, you can help us by sharing a link to our campaign on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and any other social media platforms you use. The more people know what we are doing, the smoother our product launch will go. We appreciate all your support, both monetary and non-monetary, and we thank you for taking the time to read about what we are doing. Please use the social sharing tools on Indiegogo to share our campaign with your network.
Risks & Challenges
We have selected our manufacturing partners carefully for this project, but whenever you are outsourcing work like this, the risk of delay is always real. If any unforeseen logistical challenges arise, we will be sure to keep all our contributors in the loop. We are confident there are no major risks inherent to the next few steps we are taking in this product launch.